Wednesday, November 14, 2012

canada, eh?

This country is amazing!
After visiting all our family in Minnesota,Wisconsin and Illinois, we drove up north. This was the last hurrah for the summer. We stayed at my grandma's cousin's (we call her Aunt Rita) little cabin on Lake Superior near Thunder Bay. This cabin, along with all the other cabins on this street, was built in the late 1800s because of a silver mine. Needless to say, this cabin still has no internet, phone, electricity or plumbing. But, I think it was worth it (as the pictures might suggest).

Everyone was SO nice in Canada! It's a part of their culture to say hi to complete strangers. Yeah, we were greeted by many wonderful Canadian when we took walks along the street. It felt weird at first, but I soon got use to it and said hi back.

Aunt Rita is in her upper 80s and she's about 4 feet 10, but she has some spunk, let me tell you ;) She's hilarious. And that "eh?" thing, she used it in every sentence. :) That's talent if you ask me.


skipping rocks


relaxing :)

We fed them cinnamon rolls.

I really like sailboats. :)

Oh, Canada!


 This is the cabin. They call it "The Camp".
It was the 6 of us + Aunt Rita + grandma&grandpa W. who stayed there.


the old fashion wood-burning stove/oven


the 'modern' gas stove

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the stairs were very steep.

 
This is the room I shared with my mom and Elias.
I think it looks like a museum.

my view

wc/el baƱo/the lou... whatever you want to call it, it's still the outhouse.

This is the road/sidewalk. :)

This is the view from Nate's room- looking at our car and the "ocean".


This was a neighbor's dock, but I just love this picture.

Nate and I



This is just a picture of a building we would walk past on our walks.

The nightly activity: fire on the beach.


Nate and Josiah


Being creative with the rocks.



Mom and baby E

Josiah's chaco tan. :)

my mornings looked like this. :D

This picture doesn't do any justice.



Nate's room and view.

:)

Josiah and I did a little biking along the water and around town. 

Taking this picture was probably more dangerous than texting and driving.

Kai and I

THAT. WATER. WAS. FREEZING.

Leilani and her bed

 Aunt Rita loved Elias!







With only rocks to keep us busy, I tried dusting off my math skills...

last night + a mini bonfire

packing up :(
yes, everything (6 people+luggage) fit in the car.


 
I don't remember if this was a sunrise or sunset... 


Oh Canada, I will come back someday!



2 comments:

  1. That's super cool! Such neat, old charm. I LOVE hearing Jeff's grandmother's stories about living in Canada. This looks much more charming than the barren, dusty potato farm her family inhabited :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canada is a pretty great place. Haha, dusty potato farm. Sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete

i love comments; they're the best.
:) thanks for stopping by & have a blessed day.