Sunday, January 20, 2013

homemade earrings

In late November, I started thinking about what little thing I could "mass-produce" and give to my friends for Christmas. After searching on Pinterest and other blogs, I was sold on the fabric covered button earrings. I got the idea from here and here
The hardest part of the project was finding all the supplies I needed at the craft store, but everything went smoothly after that. 


Here's how I made them:

Supplies:
-earring posts (they come in the jewelry section of the store. I used 1/2")
-strong glue (I used gorilla glue)
-button covers (these come with the white circular thing you see in the pictures. They also come with another metal backing that you do NOT need. I just threw them away.)
-fabric scraps
-pliers


Directions: 
Step 1: cut fabric squares about 1.5 inches. 
On step 3: trim a little bit of the extra fabric off after the button cover is in the white thing.
Step 4 & 5: fold the fabric in and glue the earring post on. Step 5 also requires you to use pliers to press the earring post all the way in. After a couple seconds, you can pop the earring out (step 6.) 
Steps 7, 8, and 9 aren't really steps. I just needed nine pictures for this collage.
Then I just cut out hearts from card stock paper (white and off-white) and used a safety pin to create holes. (The earrings go in without a problem if you do this.) At first, I tried doing it without the safety pin, but I quickly stopped when an earring post jammed under my fingernail a few millimeters. 


Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i love comments; they're the best.
:) thanks for stopping by & have a blessed day.