Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lent


Lent it a time of preparation- preparing your heart for Christ's death and resurrection. Some people give things up for a 40 day period to focus on Him more clearly, and to be reminded of the suffering he endured.

A couple days ago, my mom reminded me through a phone call that Lent started yesterday. I was like, ohhh.. yeahh... Lent. I should probably give up something. So Tuesday night I came up with three things.

I'm giving up:

facebook. *gasp* I'm on there ALL the time. You don't even want to know how long I spend on this website everyday. I deleted the app from my phone, and I'm using the little bit of  self-control I have to NOT log-on through a computer. :)

coffee. This is going to be challenging seeing as I work at a coffee shop, volunteer at the church coffee bar and because I just LOVE coffee. So, here's to the caffeine headaches... Ok, I hope they don't come. I don't think I'm that addicted. Am I?

my bed. This one is slightly random. I found it on a "things to give up for Lent" Google search. I think it's legit though. The whole reason to fast is to get yourself in a position of discomfort-remembering that Christ was put in the position of discomfort when he died for us. There's nothing we can do to bring ourselves to the depth of pain He endured, but these things are little reminders of his pain, and in turn, his love for us.

Is anyone else participating in Lent? What are you giving up?

2 comments:

  1. i've done lent before! 2 years ago(around) i turned off my blog comments for lent. it was supposed to be for 40 days, but i ended up turning them off for almost 2 years. it just felt right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI - I tried commenting here earlier (from my iPad) and I got mad because it didn't work... So I gave up. Now I'm on a trusty PC!

    Good for you giving those things up! Will be praying for your sacrifice. I know the Lord will bless it.

    I do not plan on giving anything up this lent, but if I change my mind, I will let you know! Maybe my sanity?...

    ReplyDelete

i love comments; they're the best.
:) thanks for stopping by & have a blessed day.