Tuesday, May 14, 2013

it's been 8 years

Eight years is a long time.
Long enough to live in 5 different homes.
Long enough to finish middle school, high school and half of my college years.
Long enough to see friends come and go; long enough to forget memories- good & bad.
It's been eight years since I've been to that island I called home for six years.
Eight years since I listened to that relaxing tourist-y music at the airport.
I was 12 when we moved away.
Half my life (up to that point) had only known island life, island time, island ways.

The warmth, the breeze, the constant smell of fresh flowers, the almost daily viewing of rainbows, the salty water on my skin and tons of sand in my sun bleached hair. The hours upon hours of playing outside probably racked up to hundreds of thousands. There were only three reasons to be inside: school, eating and sleeping (yes, I know you can do all 3 outside, but we usually didn't)... anyways, every other reason was invalid. I only wore slippers (flip flops) if we were going to run errands or if I was biking, otherwise I was bare foot, and I despised shoes and socks. Absolutely hated them. Oh my goodness! They were death to my feet.
Sometime between then and now I got use to them- thankfully.

I'm finally going back 'home'. It's hard to call Hawaii home after the huge time gap, but that is what I'll call it.

"Home is where the heart is."
My family (heart) is there.
It is home.

I know things won't be the same as when I lived there before, but I know it'll be close enough.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh that is too cool. Hawaii would be an incredible place to call home! You are a lucky duck. Have a blast and keep us updated on your travels! :D

    ReplyDelete

i love comments; they're the best.
:) thanks for stopping by & have a blessed day.