Monday, July 8, 2013

I'm an Army Brat



One of my friends posted this article on their Facebook about third culture kids, and I was saying "yes" and nodding my head to many of these facts. Here are the ones that apply to me and my life.

1. You’re really good at calculating time differences, because you have to do it every time you call your parents.  
It's 4 or 5 hours. It depends on what time of the year; North Dakota has day light saving, Hawaii doesn't.


2. But you also have your computer programmed to help you out when your math fails.
I use my phone, not computer.


3. You start getting birthday wishes several hours before your birthday, from your friends farther east than you. 
Starting with Australia the day before my birthday, then Asia, Europe, continental US, and finally Hawaii.


4. You have a love-hate relationship with the question “Where are you from?” 
All. The. Time.

5. You run into your elementary school friends in unlikely countries at unlikely times. 
When I was in 6th grade, I was on a swim team (in Hawaii). In 9th grade, I met up with a girl on that team (in Germany).

6. You’ve spent an absurd and probably unhealthy amount of time on airplanes. 
Mmmm, this one is a stretch. I don't think the words "absurd" and "unhealthy" fit, but I have spent a good amount of time in them.

7. And your circle of friends is as politically, racially, and religiously diverse as the United Nations.  
I don't think moving around causes this... going to college does.

8. Which is great, except that you “hang out” more online than in real life.  
Facebook is a wonderful place.

9. You get (very) nervous whenever a form needs you to enter a “permanent address.”  
Yes. Just last month, I had this crisis...

10. You’re the token exotic friend in your non-military brat crew.  
I went to a family camp in Wisconsin one summer (2003?), and I think my peers were only friends with me because I lived in Hawaii (and surfed). They thought I was so cool.

11. The end of the school year was always bittersweet because so many people move away.
Including my family and I.

12. And, no matter how many times you say it, good-byes never get easier.
Never. 

13. But the constant flow of new friends more than make up for it.  
:)

14. Now you feel incredibly lucky to have loved ones and memories scattered all over the globe.  
Sweet memories.

15. You know better than anyone else that “home” isn’t a place, it’s the people in it.  
Home is where the heart is.

16. And you can’t wait to see where your life adventure takes you next.  
People ask what my plans are after college, and my answer: I have no idea, but I'm excited to find out.

------------------------------------------

I've lived in many places, and I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. :) I've been so blessed with the life I've been given. God has been so good. 

Oh, and here's a quick run down of where I've lived.

Born: Minnesota
Infant: South Korea
Toddler: Alaska
Pre-school-k: Maryland
Elementary: Hawaii
Middle School: Texas
9th-11th grade: Germany
12th-freshman: Washington State
Sophomore-junior: North Dakota
Senior/clinicals/now: Arizona


2 comments:

  1. You should think about making North Dakota your permanent residence. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. For a couple years. :P Then we'll see what happens.

      Delete

i love comments; they're the best.
:) thanks for stopping by & have a blessed day.