Thursday, July 12, 2012

not as confused

A while back, I blogged about my disappointment in not being accepted to the dental hygiene program in Washington State- click here to read it. I was extremely confused and, well, disappointed. For awhile, I lived in denial. I didn't want to believe the letter they sent me. How was it possible that they wouldn't accept a student with a 3.96 GPA and above average test scores?

A few days before.

I didn't get an email with my test score numbers, so I went to the testing center, and asked the lady at the desk what my scores were. She looked them up and printed them out on a paper. All three scores were above average. Excitement. Hope.

I get 'the letter'...

Fast forward a couple weeks.


I'm finally able to get an appointment with the director of the program. She looks at my transcript and test scores on her computer. Then, she starts the I'm-sorry-you-failed speech. Ok, she wasn't that harsh, but it seemed that way. I cut her off before she could finish it by handing her the paper with my test scores. Then, she was confused.

 "With scores like this, you should be in the program," she said.

 "Really?!" I'm shocked, but not ready to believe it. I already accepted the fact that I'm not in, and I don't want to be let down again.

 "Well, I don't want to take away someone else's opportunity to be in the program," I said. (They only accept 20 students per year.)

 "Oh no, I would have to make an exception and have 21 people in the program."

My excitement is rising, but I stay composed. She still has to talk to the testing center to figure this whole mess out. I leave her office a little happier than when I walked in. I call my mom and tell her the whole situation, and then I tell my brother the whole story as we drive home from school. I know my happiness can flee at any moment with a simple phone call, so I keep myself level-minded.

And as we're driving home, I get that phone call. It's a lady from the testing center- the one who gave me that paper with the scores on it a few weeks back. She apologized as much as she could. She probably said 'I apologize' and 'I'm sorry' 15 times during our 2 minute conversation. The story goes that when I went to see her in person, she gave me the scores of a different person. Yeah. Big mistake. I'm not mad at her though. It's probably because I stayed level-headed. I knew something was up, something I couldn't fix. People I've talked to say I should be mad at her error and at the whole program. But why? I was over it a long time ago. No reason to get upset. It wasn't God's plan, and I'm not arguing with Him. One things for sure, I'm not confused anymore. :) To this day, I don't know my scores, and I'd like to keep it that way. I honestly don't want to see how badly I did on them. Some things are better kept a secret. ;)




I'm planning on blogging about my next steps in this journey called life soon. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. oh no, that is such a stressful situation but you seem to be handling it with grace x

    ReplyDelete

i love comments; they're the best.
:) thanks for stopping by & have a blessed day.